We concentrate our research on products and services for the over-fifty traveler. You can rely on us to peruse through reviews of best-selling items. We provide you, the “Silver Traveler,” with a summary so you can make informed decisions.
Finding that “just right” product that fits your budget, style, and travel needs is time-consuming. So let us do the research so you can spend your time doing those things you love.
We earn commissions from qualifying purchases made after clicking links on this site. However, all product reviews are based solely on our opinion, irrespective of potential commissions.
EVERKI Atlas Business Laptop Backpack
- Capacity: 32L. External dimensions 13.4 x 9.1 x 18.9 inch, Laptop compartment 11.1 x 1.5 x 16.5 inch
- Opens up 180 degrees to breeze through security checkpoints that accept Checkpoint Friendly bags
- Separate technology compartment with adjustable laptop pocket for 13-inch to 17.3-inch laptop and 13-inch tablet allows easy access to your devices
- Wide, padded shoulder straps with 5-point balance strap system evenly distributes weight for comfortable carrying
- Trolley handle pass-through for stacking atop luggage. Front quick-access magazine/newspaper slot
- Felt-lined top access pocket and multi-functional side pockets for water bottle and other accessories
Newhey Extra Large Waterproof TSA Anti Theft with USB Charging Port
- 【SCAN SMART FRIDENDLY】This business laptop backpack is free to open 180 degrees, ensuring that your electronic devices (laptops, mobile phones, mobile power) have a dedicated and secure space. Laptops can be taken on board and carry important items to help you quickly pass security and avoid waiting for a long time.
- 【FUNCTIONAL & SAFETY】A well-knitted luggage strap is quite convenient to fix the laptop backpack on the handle of trunk, making your journey and travelling more convenient wherever you go. The front zip pocket offer a easy access to your stuff such as keys, phones and more. The anti-theft pocket on the back ensures the safety of your passport, wallet and other valuables.
- 【PERFECT GIFT CHOICE】This bag can be used as a laptop backpack, outdoor travel, hiking backpack, business backpack, college backpack, night travel backpack, business laptop bag for men and women.It is an ideal present ready for anywhere.
Osprey Farpoint 40 Men’s Travel Backpack
- Large, lockable U-zip duffel-style access to the main compartment – 40L total volume
- Meets carry-on size restrictions for most airlines (Size Medium/Large: 21H X 14W X 9D inches)
- Lockable zipper access to padded laptop & tablet sleeve (fits up to most 15″ laptops)
- Stowaway back panel, shoulder straps, and hip belt with zippered rear flap for protection
- Two front mesh water bottle pocket
- Scratch-free pocket for sunglasses or devices
Matein Extra Large Weekender Bag 40L
- Large Capacity & Expandable:This travel backpacks flight approved has 1 main compartment with elastic retention straps on the inside and a large mesh zipper pocket that can keep 3-4 day clothes (depends on your packing way) This backpack for men can become bigger or smaller via 2 straps on either side and a zipper compression to meet your different packing capacity requirement so you can easily keep packing cubes, clothes, shoes, and other larger travel items into this weekender backpack
- Built for Travel & Easy to Carry:This carry on backpack for men is specially designed to meet the maximum size allowed by IATA flights, this versatile luggage backpack also meets airline carry-on requirements for airlines such as Easy Jet, Spirit, Jet Blue. Easily carry your backpack to the flight as personal item and and could perfect fit in the overhead compartment and the under seat storage in flight, very suitable for a weekend trip, business trip, international travel
- Convenient & Easy to Organize:This luggage bag has 2 front compartments with small pockets for organizing and quick access to your small items like phone, pen, notebook. It carries like a pack yet be packed like a suitcase so everything is organized and laid out and not stuffed down in a bottomless abyss like traditional backpack. It has a strap on the back of the bag to secure it to the handle of roller bag so that you don’t have to wear it on your back until you are actually boarding the plane
- Great Quality & Versatile:This backpack for travel is made of sturdy water resistant polyester with lockable zipper heads. It is comfortable to wear for the really thick padding on the shoulder straps and back, and it can fit nicely on your back and distribute the weights somewhat evenly. Designed with hide away shoulder straps, adjustable chest straps and 2 handle straps(on the top and the side of the backpack), the backpack offers multiple carrying options as backpack, suitcase or duffel
- Additional Toiletry Bag:Dimension:9.5*5*4.5inches. This airplane backpack comes with a toiletry bag providing extra storage with ease whether you are on a short trip or traveling for business. The toiletry bag is in a perfect size that can be packed up in this suitcase backpack. It has 1 main compartment roomy for your larger toiletries, and 3 mesh pockets, 1 zipper mesh pockets and front pocket to store all of your small items. This suitcase backpack is a great gift for men, women and traveler
Vera Bradley Reactive Lay Flat Backpack
- RECYCLED LIGHTEN UP — The same Lighten Up fabric that you know & love is now made from recycled bottles – this sustainable water-repellent fabric is lightweight & durable, yet soft to the touch
- LAYS FLAT — This innovative backpack unzips on three sides to lie completely flat for quick & easy packing & organization. It is carry-on compliant & fits perfectly in the overhead compartment of the plane
- CHIC ORGANIZATION — The exterior features 3 main compartments, 2 front zips & 1 side mesh pocket while the interior has 2 main compartments & a mesh zip pocket with an additional 3 slip pockets, 4 pen slips, & 1 tech pocket in the front – keeping you neatly organized
- CARRY-ON COMPLIANT — This lay-flat backpack measures 13 inches wide, 21 inches high, & 9 inches deep with a laptop compartment that can accommodate up to a 15″ laptop – pair with the Vera Bradley Lay Flat Cosmetic & you are ready for the adventures ahead
- HANDS FREE CONVENIENCE — This innovative bag keeps you strolling through the airport hands free with the 38 inch adjustable shoulder straps
The “best” travel bag is vital when looking for a backpack to accompany you on your next excursion, whether it is your dream destination or for business. However, choosing that bag can be a challenging endeavor. There are multiple brands and models from which to choose, with a wide variance in durability, price, and features. Add to that conflicting views and opinions from reviewers with different values, needs, and body types-and you have myriad options to wade through.
No one backpack is “best” for every traveler, but it’s essential to have the best travel backpack that works for you, so where do you begin?
Here are some things to consider:
- Size and Weight
- Max Legal Carry-on Size
- Weather Resistance
- Durability and Quality
- Security Features
Size and Weight
Airlines are pretty stingy about the weight you can bring on board. So it’s essential to ensure your backpack isn’t too heavy. Starting with a bag that is too heavy before you’ve packed it is just setting yourself up for failure! Instead, consider smaller bags that’ll fit under the seat in front of you. Life is just more manageable with a smaller & lighter gear. If you need additional space, try a sling bag on the front with the backpack on your back.
There’s no “industry standard” around the liter size of a pack; it can vary from brand to brand. A backpack’s “True Volume” and useable space are more critical than its rated liters. Something with a larger, rectangular compartment is easier to load. Likewise, the material thickness and flexibility matter; thin, strong material will give you more space inside a backpack than something with thick padding.
Max Legal Carry-On Size
Max Legal Carry-On size, or “MLC,” covers the largest acceptable size for carry-on bags. The “MLC” is the sum of the bag’s height, length, and width. Before arriving at the airport, check your airline’s restrictions, as size limits vary based on the airline.
Look for packs with excellent weather resistance that’ll get you through light rain and ideally through 15 minutes of heavy rain. But, of course, there’s a big difference between waterproof and water-resistant bags. Waterproof is more secure but focus on the latter, as this will be plenty in most situations. There is no need to buy an entirely waterproof bag if you’ve got something that needs additional weather protection. Instead, you can purchase separate waterproof pouches, which also double as organizers, separating your water-sensitive gear from the rest of your load.
Durability and Quality
Investing in a high-quality backpack will prevent loss and damage to your gear and last several years. Higher durability tends to mean heavier weight, but not always. Zippers and backpack fabric are two crucial considerations when evaluating durability.
YKK zippers are the most popular, accounting for about half of all zippers worldwide, and the better brands tend to use them. They’re strong and come in different weights depending on where they are deployed on the bag. RiRi zippers are also well regarded. Both RiRi and YKK are superior to most zippers made in-house by bag manufacturers.
There is a multitude of fabrics and materials used to construct backpacks. Here are some materials you’ll come across when selecting your pack:
- Nylon – has an incredibly high strength-to-weight ratio and is highly resistant to rips and tears.
- Polyester – is not the most durable fabric, so you’ll usually find it on lower-end packs.
- Polypropylene – It’s cheap. It’s a good insulator because it doesn’t transfer heat very well and won’t absorb water since it’s hydrophobic but not very UV resistant.
- Canvas – is very thick and sturdy but usually heavy, not overly water-resistant, and easily damaged by abrasion.
- Leather – is heavy, and there is also a lot of potential care involved. Between protective oils and various cleaning techniques,
- Sailcloth – is the most lightweight and waterproof material on this list but is also stiff and crinkly with zero stretch.
The “one size fits all” harness has been the standard, but there is a growing market trend towards women’s and men’s focused fit travel backpacks. The differences are subtle but significantly impact how comfortable the harness system is on your frame. For example, a women’s fit typically provides:
- Thinner shoulder straps for a narrower frame
- Shorter shoulder straps that position the bag higher up the back
- Smaller hip belt with a more pronounced curve
Look for bags with high-quality straps. Thinner straps may be more comfortable than thicker, bulkier straps. Straps with swivels and pivots make it easier to turn the pack around, giving quicker access to the pockets.
Sternum straps are all pretty much the same across the board, but some have elastic portions that allow the strap to flex as you walk. Second, some sternum straps can be detached, making them vulnerable to falling off when not used.
Things to look for:
- Are the zippers lockable with TSA-approved locks?
- Is there a security compartment to stow your passport and other valuables in secret or hard-to-reach places?
- Is it made of durable material to hamper the quick slash-and-grab?
- Are there minimal outer pockets to make it hard for thieves to unzip and grab what they want?
Having RFID-blocking technology covering an entire backpack is probably overkill. However, if you’re concerned with thieves electronically scanning your passport, you could get a special RFID blocking wallet or wrap your passport & cards in aluminum foil.